Sunday, September 15, 2013

IV Gamma Globulin Treatment

Someone asked me on the facebook lyme site that I frequent about the IV infusions that I get. Here is my response to her:

I had my 7th treatment on Labor Day. (Nurse was willing so I could get one in before the start of school) My lld sent me to an infectious disease dr, they and my GP agreed that my immune system was shot. I only showed antibodies to tetanus even after receiving a flu shot and pneumonia shot. (that is the 2nd ID dr bc the 1st one looked at my blood work, gave me nasal spray and said make an apt for 3 months) I had the 1st two infusions at her office and have been receiving them at home since. I am given prednisone (this makes a mess of immune system for Lymies but is necessary to avoid rejection)  and benadryl (this helps prevent allergic reaction) 1/2  hour before. The IV bag  is connected to a monitor that I can walk around with bc it is in a fanny pack! Nurse checks temp(which I usually run), and blood pressure every 15 minutes, then every 30. I drove myself to my 1st two appointments which I do not advise. If someone can drive you ask for help. I am usually extremely tired and "loopy" after. My temp usually goes up and Fibromialgia  pain is pretty strong. Headache usually kicks in too. This lasted 3 days at first (advil helped, I had stronger meds to take but didn't) but now only about the 1st day. I try to get them at 8AM so I am good for the next day. After the nurse leaves, I SLEEP. It's a good day to watch movies. You must drink a lot for a few days before so your veins are primed for the infusion. I am starting to have problems with this so we run my arm under hot water for a bit before she tries putting the needle in. Oh, typically for a week or so after I don't run a fever and the fibro pains are less so I think it is doing some good.


If anyone else is getting this treatment or is thinking about it I would love to hear from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment